02 December, 2005

Mountain Man

Okay...

I have finished my first week on the Mountain. Let me describe what it was to first venture up the mountain. So when I arrived in La Ceiba (a very touristy town compared to most of Honduras) on the north caribbean coast of Honduras. I went to my doctor's house and met this very excentric man. Very opinionated, extremely intelligent, but socially odd. Well, he told me that I would be living on the mountain with a local family and another gringo. SO the following day I was driven to the end of the "road" and dropped off to await for a jalon (a dirty old pick up truck to hitch hike up the mountain in). I was taken up 45 kms on a dirt path to some of the greenest, not pristine place I have ever been. Dropped off in front of some contraption that had a very sturdy wire dangling over a river. I was told to "hop in" and we went across in a basket to the other side of this river, which was at least 100 feet down. On the other side lived a little community of about 6 houses which were all one family and I would be living with them. I got put in this concrete cement square box which smells like wet soaks and that is where I stayed.

My work is different as well because I am with the American doctor in the neighboring town (an hour walk from my house) on monday and wednesday mornings. Then in the afternoons and tuesdays and thursdays I am with a Hondurenan nurse. I am there to evaluate what the gringos can do for the medicine practices on the mountain. It is interesting because what she does is not accepted in the states, but it may be wrong to impose american ways and treatments on Honduras. So I am there to lead by example and hopefully this coming week with the aid of the American Doctor we can start teaching her clinic how to treat better and with more care and hopefully less malpractice.

Overall this has been a very interesting, slow progressing, ADVENTURE.

Crazy!!!




La Cuenca, Honduras - My Clinic




La Cuenca, Honduras - My Clinic




La Cuenca, Honduras - My Clinic




La Cuenca, Honduras







La Cuenca, Honduras




La Cuenca, Honduras




La Cuenca, Honduras




La Cuenca, Honduras







La Cuenca, Honduras




La Cuenca, Honduras




La Cuenca, Honduras




La Cuenca, Honduras







La Cuenca, Honduras




La Cuenca, Honduras




...and if he is a wise man, he will not allow any of his subjects or citizens to make that his only profession - indeed, no good man ever did, fore surely no one can be called a good man who, in order to support himself, takes up a profession that obliges him at all times to be rapacious, fraudulent and cruel, as of course must be all of these - no matter what their rank - who make a trade of war.